What did Ernest Rutherford's gold foil experiment demonstrate about atoms?
1. Their positive charge is located in a small region that is called the nucleus
2.Their negative charge is located in small particles that are called electrons.
3.Their nucleus makes up the majority of the volume of the atom.
4.Their electrons are floating in a sea of positive charges.
Their positive charge is located in a small region that is called the nucleus.
Which statement best summarizes the importance of Ernest Rutherford's gold foil experiment?
1. It proved that all of John Dalton's postulates were true.
2. It verified J. J. Thomson's work on the atomic structure.
3. It showed that an electron circles a nucleus in a fixed-energy orbit.
4. It showed that a nucleus occupies a small part of the whole atom.
It showed that a nucleus occupies a small part of the whole atom.
What could J. J. Thomson conclude from his experiments?
1. Atoms are mostly empty space.
2. Most of the mass of the atom is concentrated in the center.
3. Atoms must balance positive and negative particles.
4. Atoms are indivisible.
Atoms must balance positive and negative particles.
Which statement is most likely true?
1. Ernest Rutherford's experiment led to the nuclear model of the atom.
2. Ernest Rutherford's experiment established the plum pudding model of the atom.
3. Robert Millikan's postulates form the most accepted theory for the atomic structure.
4. Robert Millikan's results had little impact on determining of the charge of an electron.
Ernest Rutherford's experiment led to the nuclear model of the atom.
Which activity is the best demonstration of J. J. Thomson's use of creativity in his work?
1. making observations in his experiment
2. interpreting the results of his experiment
3. assembling the apparatus for his experiment
4. taking notes on Joseph Proust's work
interpreting the results of his experiment
How did the development of the earliest idea about atoms differ from the later work of scientists?
1. It was based on sound evidence.
2. There were explanations for the idea.
3. It was based on the thoughts of an early philosopher.
4. There were experiments conducted to support the idea.
It was based on the thoughts of an early philosopher.
Which activity best demonstrates Ernest Rutherford's creativity?
1. questioning the correctness of the plum pudding model
2. designing an experiment to test the plum pudding model
3. making observations about the gold foil experiment
4. summarizing the conclusions from the gold foil experiment as a theory
designing an experiment to test the plum pudding model
Which statement best describes John Dalton's use of creativity in his work?
1. He reinterpreted and retested Joseph Proust's results.
2. He used a scientific method to conduct his experiment.
3. He wrote his results down as four parts of the atomic theory.
4. He verified Democritus's idea that matter was composed of atoms.
He reinterpreted and retested Joseph Proust's results.
Whose work directly resulted in the development of an atomic model that has negative electrons stuck within a sea of positive material?
Which atomic model was proposed as a result of J. J. Thomson's work?
1. the plum pudding model
2. the indivisible atom model
3. an atom that had a lot of empty space
4. an atom that had a concentrated nucleus
the plum pudding model
Haven't found what you need?
Search for quizzes and test answers now